Congratulations! So you’ve been offered a job and it might be time to do some negotiating or possibly turn down the offer diplomatically. A good job is not always about the job title and money – here are some things to look out for:
- Do you research on salaries/hourly rates for similar positions.
- Be able to say why you think you are worth more, e.g. your experience and qualifications.
- If you agree on a lower salary than you hoped for, ask now for your salary to be reviewed in 6 months’ time.
- Consider the whole package – what additional benefits are included? Consider any significant advantages of the role – shorter commute, flexibility, options for overtime/additional hours.
- If you’re turning down a job offer, be polite, express gratefulness for the offer and respond quickly. Ideally put it in writing. Remember that you never know when, if or how your paths might cross again.
Know your Employment Rights.